There are a lot of perks when it comes to Invisalign aligners! They’re transparent and removable. They’re harder to notice and can be taken out when you eat. They’re comfortable and, in some cases, they work faster than traditional braces. However, this doesn’t mean they’re maintenance-free! To help keep your smile shining bright, you need to take the time to clean your Invisalign.
When to Clean Your Invisalign
Your Invisalign should be cleaned every single day, multiple times per day. Doing so is the best way to keep your aligners in good condition and prevent bacteria. Invisalign itself recommends lightly brushing your aligners with a toothbrush to keep them clean. If you don’t, this won’t only lead to bad breath, but bacteria will cloud your aligners and ruin their transparent appearance.
- Clean your aligners in the morning and at night. You should be wearing your aligners when you sleep; however, bacteria can build up on them overnight, just as it does on your natural teeth. When you brush your teeth in the morning, remove your aligners and give them a quick clean with your soft-bristled toothbrush and some antibacterial soap. Don’t forget to do this before you go to bed too since bacteria can build up in your aligners during the day.
- Rinse after removing. You should be removing your aligners to eat, drink, or brush your teeth. Dried saliva creates an environment prone to bacteria, so make sure you rinse your aligners with water before letting them sit out.
- Soak your aligners regularly. Soaking your aligners in denture or Invisalign cleaner will help kill bacteria. After they soak, brush any remaining particles off and then rinse with clean water.
Brushing your teeth every day will also keep your aligners clean. If food or bacteria is left on your teeth and trapped beneath the aligners, cavities can more easily form.
How to Prevent Bacteria
There are some important steps not to take when it comes to caring for and cleaning your Invisalign. To prevent bacteria or damage:
- Don’t leave your aligners in the open. Leaving your aligners in the open air makes them susceptible to bacteria growth. Keep them in their case and keep their case close by so they don’t get lost. If you accidentally leave them out, make sure to clean them thoroughly before wearing them again.
- Don’t clean with toothpaste. Toothpaste is abrasive, which can lead to scratches on the aligners’ surface. Clear soap is a much better solution.
- Don’t eat or drink with Invisalign in. Even if you just want a sip of soda, tea, or coffee, you should take out your Invisalign. Sugary drinks can stain your aligners, while food can break them. Be sure to rinse your mouth before putting your aligners back in.
- Don’t use scented soaps to clean. Scented soaps can damage your aligners and also cause them to develop a bad taste. Soaps can also leave behind a residue that is hard to remove.
Affordable Invisalign from Exeter Orthodontics
Invisalign may come with great responsibility, but the results are life-changing. If you’ve been considering braces or Invisalign, we invite you to request an appointment with our orthodontists today. They’ll walk you through what an Invisalign treatment looks like and answer any questions you have.
We are proud to offer Invisalign for only $3,995. There are no hidden fees and payment plans are available. With offices in and around the Lehigh Valley and Philadelphia areas, Invisalign is never far from home. Contact us today to learn how you can find the smile of your dreams with affordable Invisalign.